Friday, February 29, 2008

Another Day In The ICU

We went in a bit later today so we could go to an art store for Kerry so he could find something on which to draw. We got there about noon. It was a bit of a hard day, but resolved to the positive in the end.

She was fighting the ventilator when we got there. The fighting was wearing her out as she tried to breathe while the ventilator tried to do the same thing for her. They finally decided to paralyze her again. That helped enormously. Her blood oxygen went back into the 90s. This way she can use her energy to heal not to fight the ventilator.

No fever, white cell count is good, her weight is coming down again as they get fluids off of her from the surgery on Wednesday. Tomorrow she is going to get a new bed that rocks from side to side. This will keep her blood from clotting plus they won't have to move her as much to relieve pressure sores. It's like a very slow-motion hammock.

We are scheduled to go home on Tuesday, but I just don't see how I can leave her. We will see. The very negative lung doctor, Dr. McCauley, will be gone as of Monday. He's there on a one month fellowship. I didn't like him from the get go. He's very negative and has no bedside manner.

Tonight she has a male nurse named Kevin. He's very efficient but doesn't have the same warmth that the women do. I know that is sexist but I can't help myself. I want the best medical and emotional care for my sister.

We are not out of the woods yet.

No comments: