Saturday, July 25, 2009

Two Cats And A Mockingbird














Both have disturbed my sleep the last couple of nights, but for very different reasons.

When it's as hot as it's been, we leave the house wide open at night. That includes the front door which has one of those rolling screens that stays shut due to a magnet. A couple of nights ago I was awakened by the sound of the screen door opening; it's pretty loud when the magnet lets go. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. Kerry was sound asleep.

Groggily I went to the front door to find the screen wide open and the cats outside. They were disinclined to return to the safety of their home. I mention the safety aspect because we live in the country with coyotes, skunks, possums, feral cats, dogs and owls. Nora and Giorgio (pictured above) have no idea about the wild. They have lived this blissful existence in a 3,200 square foot house with an automated litter box and a food bowl that is always full.

For three nights they have managed to open the screen door by throwing their collective bodies against it which weakens the magnetic hold on the screen. Tonight we will close the front door. That means it will be hotter in the house and that Giorgio will howl because he can't get out. Not sure how I'm going to deal with the howl; Kerry sleeps very soundly.

Just about the time I got back to bed I realized that the Mockingbird had begun his/her night time aria. For the most part it's beautiful; I can fall asleep to it. But, our Mockingbird has learned the sound of our microwave timer. Yes, the timer, which I listen for when I have something I am baking or waving. Now, it's 4 a.m. and all of a sudden I hear that sound and wake up. It's the bird. They are very clever this way. Our mockingbird also mimics the sound of a phone ringing. And off in the distance is the sound of a train. It's not so bad. I just don't want my cats in danger.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin - The Goat said...

When technology meets nature -- the microwave timer going off at 4am because a bird learned the sound. How funny!!!

I hope the cats have adjusted to their "former" life of being inside all the time.