Saturday, July 04, 2009

Some Thoughts

In the past 11 days we have lost three people from our extended family. First Mark's grandpa who died at 90 in a very peaceful way; just fell over. Then Kerry's niece's father, Jerry, 67. He ended up on life support with no brain function. And finally our good friend Steve lost his father at 89. It was peaceful in the end but still he ended up in the hospital for an extended stay. Never good for anyone.

With that much death around us, it has set me to thinking about life. I have always been someone who spent a lot of time thinking about the future. Everything from what will happen tonight to what will happen in six months.

Maybe being six months away from turning 65 and being surrounded by death has made me re-appraise my way of looking at life. The phrase, "living in the moment" is pretty trite but it really describes something that I need to do.

For the past few days when I start to "future trip" I pull myself back to the moment at hand and remind myself that this could be all I have so I'd better enjoy it. So far that has been pretty calming for me. I'm certainly not doing it perfectly but I'm giving it a good shot.

So on this Independence Day I'm declaring my independence from spending too much time worrying about and planning for the future.

Two other wonderful things happened on this day. Richard and Charlotte got married five years ago. Just so this won't be an entirely gloomy post, I've included a photo from their wedding. And Mark and Julia got married nine months ago on the fourth of October. And everyone is very happy.

i

4 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

I just recently purchased a book called Life is a Verb - and it's about living like you've got 37 days left. I'm totally engrossed in its ideas and projects.

In 2007 I lost 7 friends and family in 6 months...and my sister had a baby in that time. Life is a rollercoaster of emotions, isn't it.

Much love to you during this time and I hope that you do become more mindful of the moments...of today.

Anonymous said...

This is a gloomy post at all!
It's about life and death and all the things in the middle!
I like your Independence idea of living in the moment. :)
Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I meant, "isn't"
This isn't a gloomy post at all!

Oklahoma Girl said...

So, as with so many of us, you have learned that today is all we are promised. Yesterday is but a dream & tomorrow may not come. My dearest brother taught me how to live truly in the moment. I learned this as he prepared to die over the course of several years. During his last 15 months of life he taught me how precious the Moment is, to be fully present, & to live fully in one day. He taught me to always say what has been unsaid, to live with no regrets, & to be no one but who I am, authentically. He was always so present, so authentic. It is hard not to plan the future, but it is so sad not to live fully each day. As the song says "Live like you were dying".

I agree, it is so freeing to live simply in the moment. Independence in its truest form.

blessed be...