Sunday, August 23, 2009

One Local Summer: Week 12
























I figured you all were tired of looking at my BBQed flank steak (we love flank steak) so I just took a picture of the dish that went with it. It's a tomato, potato, onion, zucchini gratin with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. The best part is it makes great leftovers for lunch. I used up the last of my BBQ sauce on the boneless pork loin that is in the crock pot for dinner tonight so I have to make more of that. I'm also dehydrating red and green peppers. I had so many that I knew they would go bad before I used them. Next time I do this I won't cut them so small. They will go into a Ziploc bag in the freezer. The freezer, you ask? Yes, I discovered the hard way that even though they seem dry to me, if there are any tiny droplets of moisture the bugs creep in. So anything I dehydrate goes into the freezer.

Also made two loaves of zucchini bread that used up five zucchini. I have a few more to go so I think we will have zucchini fritters this week.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

dykewife said...

i've done the burning the skin off peppers and freezing them. they're deliciously sweet that way.

Anonymous said...

Interesting about the dehydrating process. I've started dehydrating fruit, and figuring out how long is "enough" is a big challenge - I don't want rocks! Does it change the texture to freeze them?
On the zucchini, I also like doing a kind of zucchini skillet flatbread, just working the grated zucchini into the dough instead of water (the natural liquid is usually enough), rolling it out into thin tortilla-like discs, and then just cooking on both sides.