Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Quilting

In the past few months I've listened to two books on CD that were about quilting; both fiction. One was "The Sugar Camp Quilt" and the other "Circle of Quilters." Jennifer Chiaverini is the author of both. As I listened to each of them I kept thinking about making a quilt. The whole thing sounds so peaceful; the perfect thing to do in retirement. So I've signed up for a quilting class at Joann's Fabrics. I got my supply list and have chosen the colors for my first quilt. I'm thinking of them more as art than as bedcovers.

The books have helped me get familiar with some of the terms and also some of the various ways people quilt. There seems to be a disagreement (that may be too strong a word) between quilters who machine quilt and those who hand quilt. All I know is that I reserved a sewing machine for the class. I have one at home, but it's not something I want to lug to class each time.

So Monday night I begin with a three-hour class. The second and final class is on Wednesday in the evening. I'm really looking forward to it. If I like it then I can go on to the intermediate level.

I love spending time in fabric and yarn stores. It's like returning to the womb; very comfortable. I sure would like to find bloggers who quilt. Anyone out there?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

dykewife said...

much luck with the quilting. my mom made quilts and each of us kids got a large quilt for our beds. the grand kids each got a hand made baby blanket. all the beds in her house also had her quilts on them. they have a nice weight to them that lets you know you're covered with something. in winter, i adore that weight.

i, however, don't much like sewing. i'll embroider, i'll bead, but i don't like sewing. funny that.

Anonymous said...

I don't have the patience to quilt.
but, I love them.