Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Another Tale From Costa Rica Ten Years Ago

All the prepartion for this trip to Costa Rica has brought back a flood of memories of my first trip. The one I thought of today was about the post office in Cahuita. I had postcards to mail back to the U.S. I went to the post office, asked in Spanish about buying stamps for them and was told he didn't have any stamps. I asked if I was in the post office. He assured me I was. I asked when he thought he might have stamps; he said maybe on Wednesday. This was Friday. I told him I would be gone by then; he smiled and said that perhaps the next city I visited would have stamps. We could learn a lot from this gentleman. He had a job but nothing to sell and he was very polite about how he couldn't help me. I left smiling and mailed the postcards when I got back to the U.S. Great country; great people.

No comments: