Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Super Bowl Aftermath

Our Super Bowl party was a success once again. Kerry's chili got rave reviews and everyone loved the nuts I had made from recipes on http://28cooks.blogspot.com


The last couple left about 11 p.m. I crawled into bed soon after feeling bone-tired. On Monday I never got out of my nightgown. It was a bit chilly in the house so I put on my long-sleeved burnt-orange fleece. I was quite a fashion statement. Pink flowered flannel night gown with lace trimmed sleeves, burnt-orange fleece, my pink and green turtle socks (the turtles are green) and my fuzzy slippers.

Kerry left for school as I was sipping coffee and looking at my computer screen. When he got home I still was not dressed and still looking at my computer screen, although I did put in my contact lenses and brush my teeth. I can't stand my bifocal glasses. It was easy to go to bed Monday night when I had never gotten dressed. Took my lenses out, brushed my teeth, moisturized a bit (that's another whole story) and fell asleep.


I've been reading a lot of blogs lately and find that I am approaching my blog much differently than most. I started my career as a newspaper reporter so tend to look at a blog as a publishing opportunity rather than a diary. I'm going to try to change that a bit. This is my first try.


We are finally supposed to get rain tomorrow and for the next seven days. We really need it. Our place is called "Foxtail Farm" because we usually grow so many of them. Without rain the little buggers are not even peaking above the ground. For those of you not familiar with this flora, it's not a nice plant. I have paid many a vet bill to get the thistles out of various parts of dogs' bodies, both front and back. Don't ask.


My brother and his wife arrive tomorrow for five days. This is a real treat. I haven't spent this much time with him since he was...well I don't know when. He's the one who had the cochlear implant last August. I really like his wife, Charlotte.


My friend Doug with dog Miss Kate (pictured below; what a profile) should arrive tomorrow as well. He doesn't know about the other guests. They will all do fine together. Both have heard about the other for probably 30 years.

The other thing I've noticed in reading so food blogs is "vegans". They are everywhere. I don't object but would like to see equal representation by the meat and potatoes crowd. I'm waiting to find a cook who extols the virtue of steak and baked potatoes with sour cream and butter. I remember many years ago hearing a talk by Narsai David (if you live in the Bay Area you know the name). At the end of his talk, folks were askedquestions. One woman asked for his advice on how to make a low cal, low fat cheesecake. He turned to the woman and said, "Madame, the cheesecake you would like to make is an abomination. Just eat a small piece of the real thing. Don't ever bastardize the beauty of a real cheesecake." Good advice.

That's all for now. I'm going to go knit thanks to patterns supplied by http://smariek.blogspot.com

1 comment:

dykewife said...

there are a few carnivores in blog land. i can only think of one vegan blogger that i read. the rest eat dairy and/or eggs or fish.

steak...that sounds nice. perhaps we'll have that next month when finances are better. a nice huge t-bone (of course it'll probably be something cheaper) a baked tater and some asparagus...oh...drool!