Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's Raining...Thank Goodness

I live in northern California where we count on the winter rains to get us through the dry summers. The last time it rained this winter was January 7. It started raining during the night on Tuesday and has been raining off and on since then. I can almost hear my plants sighing. We still need a lot more to catch up for the season.

We have a house full of people; my brother and his wife arrived about 8:30 last night and my friend Doug rolled into the driveway in his truck/camper about 4 in the afternoon. The pace here has quickened, to say the least. Last night we had pasta shells stuffed with ricotta and mozarrella cheeses, spinach and garlic. I drenched them in marinara sauce and baked them for about 45 minutes. Very delicious. Also made garlic bread. This time I roasted the garlic so I could squeeze each clove into the melted butter before I poured it on the bread. Topped it off with parmesan cheese. We also had a salad with watermelon radish slices on it. Weird looking radish. When you cut it open the inside looks just like a watermelon. All the bread was eaten last night. We finished off the pasta shells at lunch.

Tonight we are having pot roast cooked in the crock pot. This is my first crock pot experience. It's the perfect dinner for a rainy night.

Right now Doug is napping in his camper, Katie is asleep on the rug in my office, Charlotte is napping in her room and Kerry is on his computer. My brother is on his way back from Tracy where he had a deposition for a lawsuit in which his company is involved. He's general counsel to the largest maker of mozzarella cheese in the world. No sales to folks like us; just to huge pizza chains, frozen food makers, etc. Unless you need a 5,000 pound bag of cheese, don't call Leprino Foods.

That's all for now. I'm going to knit while the house is still quiet.

1 comment:

dykewife said...

that sounds like a most wonderful day that you're having. i love days like that. :) and the food, it sounds wonderful!