Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mark's Grandpa Died Last Night




















I love this photo of the two of them at the Grand Canyon. Jack was 90 last November. Mark's grandma died 15 years ago.

His death was one I would wish for all of us. He stood up, fell over and was dead. My marriage to his son was rocky. Jack and I didn't get along very well either. Surprisingly at the wedding he was very friendly to me. Mark's father couldn't account for the change.

He lived with a wonderful woman named Betty, who is 95. Jack called it "shacking up."

Mark is very sad; he cried on the phone with me this morning. Julia is on her way back from St. Louis so he was alone when his dad called. That's always hard.


The good news is that his grandpa knew that Julia had won the audition and that they would be moving to St. Louis in the fall. At first they were going to wait until today to call grandpa but then decided to do a three-way call. He got to hear the good news from Mark and Julia.

His body will be cremated and his ashes interred in the National Cemetery in the Bay Area; he was a veteran of World War II.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

That's how Mark's dad died, too, which reinforced my habit of always living each day like it's your last when it comes to relationships with people; our last words to each other were, "I love you." My heart goes out to your son...

Oklahoma Girl said...

I am so sorry for the loss. It is always hard when someone who has been with you throughout your life continues their Journey on the Other Side. Death is not the end, but the beginning of a new Adventure.
blessed be...

Kristin - The Goat said...

I'm so sorry to hear. That really is a nice photo of your son and his grandpa. What a great memory.