Monday, May 11, 2009

Rick Nelson: April 10, 1970


























This wasn't exactly a high point in his career as a singer; performing at the Baumholder Officers' Club. But I was dispatched to cover his concert because the editor of the Overseas Family (companion to the OW) knew that military wives would read the story. And besides, I got to meet one of my teen idols.

I was late getting there because I had been visiting friends in Munich and miscalculated how long it would take me to get there. I remember taking a curve in the Germany countryside on two wheels. Of course back then I thought I was invincible.

Luckily my photographer, a gorgeous swede named Calle (pronounced Culla), was there to get what I missed. I had such a crush on Calle the entire time I worked with him. He spoke fluent English but with that Swedish lilt. He was also married with a child. He flirted right back. That's all I'm going to say.

My work took me all over Europe, except for France. DeGaulle had already thrown the American military out. I still found ways to get to France.

Usually I would leave my apartment in downtown Frankfurt on Monday morning, take the tram to the train station and head out by train for a week of interviews and trials. I'd come back on Thursday evening and write all day Friday.

I have to search for more clips from my days there. This was just the first one I found. More to come.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: