We've been busy around here getting read for today. The bird is stuffed, oiled and seasoned. I remembered to get the giblets out and they are cooking in broth with carrots and onions. One year I cooked the turkey with the little paper bag still in the turkey. I didn't know where to find the heart, etc. The neck is hard to miss. Our dressing has mild Italian sausage, cornbread, whole wheat bread, toasted pine nuts, onions, celery, parsley lots of butter and fresh sage. The turkey goes in the oven in a couple of minutes. I made extra dressing because that's the dish that always seems in short supply right after gravy. The sweet potatoes are mashed with lots of butter and brown sugar and the white potatoes are cut into quarters and in water on the stove. Even the table is set. This year we've decided to put all the main dishes on an adjacent table so people can help themselves and then sit down. Things like gravy and cranberry sauce will be on the table along with salt and pepper. This way we can talk and eat. When someone wants more they can get up and help themselves. My friend Jan is bringing lots of pies from our favorite pie place, Machados.
But the important thing for me today is to think about what I am thankful for.
Family, friends and good health. That about sums it up.
More specifically I'm thankful for:
1. My son who has always brought immense joy to my life;
2. My brother's cochlear implant which has given him the ability to hear things we all take for granted;
3. My brother-in-law Neil who recently had blog clots in his lungs and leg, but thankfully is doing well and is back at work;
4. For the joy that grandbaby Max brings to his parents, grandparents and just about everyone else around him;
5. For his parents being able to buy a house this year;
6. For Kerry's continuing love (I'm not always easy to live with);
7. For my sister and her husband getting their house back (sorta);
8. For all my nephews who are doing well whether it's at work or in school;
9. And for our beautiful place in the country.
That's my list. It doesn't change much from year to year, but it's always good to write it down so the rest of life takes its rightful place. One more thing:
I love my Prius.
1 day ago