Monday, March 27, 2006

Tales Of The Tenacious Saleswomen of China

  In China, when someone wants to sell you something, they will do just about anything to make the sale. Despite everything you say, they keep coming at you. This was most evident at the pearl factory in Beijing. We could feel the eyes of the salespeople on us as we stepped into the area where they would tell us how freshwater pearls are made. After our lesson, we went up a flight of stairs. They were waiting for us. It seemed like there was one salesperson for each tourist. This kind of thing drives me nuts. When I shop, leave me alone. When I find something or have a question, I will find you. It doesn't work that way in China. This young woman smiled and asked if she could show me something. I realized that the only safe place was the tea and coffee table. For some reason this was off limits to salespeople. I had coffee, ate a banana and tried to figure out how to get out of this alive. The minute I got up from my chair she was there. I moved quickly around the showroom, not really seeing anyting I liked. I'm not a pearl person and the country is certainly not a place to wear them. I finally found something I really liked. I'll take a picture and post it later. I bought it. Then she wanted to sell me earrings. I bought some. Then decided I was done. I scurried back to the tea and coffee table. Others were huddled there too. Every time I looked up toward one of the showcases she was there holding up something for me to look at. I have never experienced such tenacity in sales people. They were never rude or obnoxious but they were just always there. Just about everywhere we went, the sales people hung around us like bees at a hive. Posted by Picasa

No comments: