Saturday, April 04, 2009

Quiche And Car Cleaning

Today has been a weird kind of day. I had lots of energy when I got up but that soon dissipated and I settled into a state of ennui. I think it's my new meds. I've been weaned off Wellbutrin and Zoloft and am now on Lexapro. My doctor increased the dosage a few days ago at my request. It leaves me pretty sleepy for much of the day. I know I could take it at night but I find that if I don't get all my meds on board in the morning I forget them. So the fog was there for most of the day. This will change as time goes on.

I got a comment from Kirby3131 (http://ttelroc.blogspot.com) about my quiche recipe. Quiche is sort of my stopgap dinner. As long as you have eggs, you can make one. Pull other stuff from the refrigerator and make a quiche. The crust recipe came from someone or somewhere; I just don't remember. Please take credit for it if it's yours. It's really easy.

Quick Quiche Crust (try saying that three times really fast)

1 cup flour (any kind)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup ice water (I use refrigerated water)

Mix flour and salt with a fork
Beat oil and water with whisk or fork to thicken
Pour into flour and salt mix and mix with fork
Press into 9 inch pie crust.
Fill with quiche mixture and bake at 400 F. until done.

This is not suitable for a baked pie crust shell.

Here's what I found in my refrigeraator last night. Bacon, which I cut up into pieces, leeks, green garlic and one portabello mushroom. I cooked it all together in a frying pan. Finally I added the chard. I striped the green part from the stem, tore it up a bit more and added it to the other veggies and bacon. Mixed it all up and then put a lit on the fry pan so the chard would wilt.

Spread this mixture in the unbaked quiche crust. Meanwhile I had cracked six eggs into a bowl and added chunks of smokey bleu cheese. Poured that into the crust. I put the pie plate on a cookie sheet in case it overflowed during cooking. It took about 40 minutes to complete the baking; I did test several times to make sure it wasn't over done. Just stick a knife in the middle. If it comes out clean the quiche is done.

As some of you know Kerry loves cars and owns a lot of them. I refer to it as his fleet. Lately he has been talking about liquidating it. I didn't pay much attention until a guy arrived bright and early today to detail two of his vehicles: 1992 VW vanagon and 1998 VW Jetta TDI. My God he might actually do it.

Even Harleen has seemed a bit off today. Could be the portion of a ball point pen that she ate sometime last evening. Maybe she is part goat.

We are having breakfast with friends tomorrow at one of our favorite greasy spoons in Auburn, Edelweiss House of the Super Omelet.

My four little tomato plants are still alive.

1 comment:

Kristin - The Goat said...

Ooooh, thank you! I love quiche and have never been brave enough to make it for fear of screwing it up. It really does sound like it's easy. I'll make one this week and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick response to my request!