Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Road to Imperial County: Rocks And More Rocks



Have been really busy. Between traveling to El Centro (near the Mexican border in Imperial County) and our social life, there hasn't been much time for anything else. Oh and bookgroup too. So here I am after quite a hiatus.

The thing that comes to mind is the landscape of the area I travel to on a weekly basis. The photos are from the drive I took from San Diego to El Centro a few weeks ago. El Centro is low desert, below sea level in fact. As you enter the valley you go through an area that is just piles of jumbled rocks. It's very weird looking. I've been doing this drive for my client for the past six years. I'm pretty numb to the scenery, but I did snap a few pictures last time. The old road in one picture is the old highway before the Interstate. You go over 4,400 foot summits to get to the valley so your body experiences a little bit of everything.

I have to say, however, that the people there are wonderful, well with one exception. He will remain nameless but he's an elected official who makes my job more challenging. I usually stay in Calexico, which is south of El Centro right on the Mexican border. The whole population of the county is probably about 155,000. But right across the border is Mexicali with a population of well over a million people. Imperial County makes lots of money from Mexicans who come to the county to shop. It's not that difficult to get across the border to Mexico. It's the getting out of Mexico that can take hours.

I've never been to Mexicali. It's famous for kidnappings. Just recently someone ambushed the head of security for Baja California right downtown Mexicali. Lots of guns were fired but no one was hurt. That's why I stay on my side of the border. I'm rambling but I think this is all for tonight. Hope you enjoy the photos.

No comments: