Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dark Days Challenge Final Week




















I hope I got that right. Even went back and read all the information about the Challenge so I wouldn't stop short of the final date.

Tried fennel for the first time. Kerry found it at the farmer's market. We usually shop separately because he's more into fruit than I am. I looked at the fennel and thought, what am I going to do with that.

I posed that question at my quilting bee; Mary Jane said she had been thinking about cooking fennel and had found a recipe in one of Ina Garten's cookbooks.
Ina oven roasted it with potatoes and asparagus. No asparagus so I just cut up some potatoes, the fennel, some leeks and green garlic. Sprinkled it with olive oil and roasted the whole thing at 425 F. for 25 minutes. Very tasty with no taste of licorice. Maybe enough garlic trumps licorice.

Meanwhile Kerry BBQed two small filet mignon from Coffee Pot Ranch. Made for a delicious meal and all local except the salt. We are going to have fennel again soon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Still reading your blog, having been led here by 'Panagrattata' earlier. I adore fennel pretty much however it is cooked, but the following is a recipe that a friend made for me and I absolutely love it, is very simple, fresh and healthy. I hope you enjoy, should you decide to try it.

FENNEL AND ORANGE SALAD
Serves: 8

Ingredients
2 fennel bulbs
3 large oranges
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 x 50g bags lamb's lettuce (or ant green salad leaves)


Method
1.Slice the fennel into quarters, then remove and discard the thick stalk in the middle. Slice into very fine pieces and place in a large serving bowl.
2.Remove the skin and pith from 2 of the oranges. Break these into segments and add to the fennel slices in the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the remaining orange into a jam jar, add the olive oil and season. Place the lid on top and shake well.

To serve - Toss the lamb's lettuce with the fennel and orange, drizzle with the dressing and toss well to combine. Yum!