Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Final Comet Update

Comet died in my arms at 3:51 a.m. today. We were cuddled together in bed when I woke up because I heard some noises from her. I held her even closer with my hand just over her heart. The rate slowed and then finall stopped. It was very peaceful. I am so glad I had this experience with her. I took care of her for more than 15 years so it was only right that I take care of her in death. Kerry and I are getting ready to take her little body to the vet so she can be cremated. After she died I put her in a position where she looks like she's sleeping. By this morning rigor mortis had set in so I'm glad I did it when I did. Now I just have to pull myself together to get on a 12:45 flight to San Diego and three days of work for a client. I guess life has to go on, but it seems a whole lot emptier this morning.

3 comments:

dykewife said...

i'm so sorry :( four footed friend add so much to our lives when they are here and take so much with them when they go. she didn't die alone and she knew she was loved. i'm glad you were there for her.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Kathy. :(

Anonymous said...

Comet was very lucky to have you as her mommy. I am so sorry for your lost.