Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Actually Recognized A Famous Former Football Coach In An Airport!

 For all the time I spend in airports and on airplanes, I seldom see anyone famous. Now I'm not saying that Mike Ditka, former Chicago Bears Coach, is famous in the circles in which I run, but there are thousands, perhaps millions, who know the face, the name and the temperament (which probably led to his health problems).

I'm standing in line at Starbucks in the Phoenix Airport on Friday late morning. The line is taking forever. Kerry is sitting down with our sandwich and I'm starving so I want the line to move. I turn around in the line and there is Mike Ditka, former coach of the Chicago Bears. His name popped into my head and out of my mouth. He's actually fairly short but has great hair and he banters very well. We did that until I order my coffee ala "L.A. Story" half caf, half decaf, room for cream, on ice, grande size. He gave me tons of grief about my coffee order. Meanwhile the skinny stooge behind him was trying to impress me with all the things Mike is doing. I asked Mike, "Is that your agent?" Reply, "Nah, he's my assistant, he follows me around." My reply, "sounds like a wife in the 1950s to me". The stooge looked very uncomfortable. Another way you can tell male celebrities...they have twice as much product in their hair than normal men. He was going to New Mexico for some reason. I never asked why. I saw him on the plane way up front in the good seats on Southwest (that was a joke, the only good seats on Southwest are the ones that are not close to a crying baby). He said hello and I noted that he must have boarded with the children because he was so close to the front. He grinned from ear to ear and his stooge just grimace. Banter is so much fun. I hope I never get out of practice. Posted by Picasa

No comments: