Friday, September 01, 2006

Hummingbirds: Ace Fliers At Warp Speed

 First of all, I didn't take the picture. I found it on Google Images. Hummingbirds are one of my favorite birds. They are amazing for a bird that weighs less than a paper clip. Some hummers migrate twice a year between the the Texas coastline and the Yucatan Peninsula. They do it in one non-stop flight over the Gulf of Mexico. If there is a stiff wind or a storm they drop from the sky because they've run out of energy. That's why birdwatching is good along the Texas coast in both the spring and the fall. In the spring it's the first place migrating birds land for food. The Audobon Society has set up feeding stations with water for the birds right near the beach. About 20 feet away from the food there are bleachers for birdwatchers. Very cool. In the fall it's the last place they eat before they start their incredible voyage. Birds are tougher than any human I've ever known. Back to why I started this blog.

For three years now we have had one hummingbird feeder. It's right outside my office window in the shade of a big, old oak tree. Lots of other feeders there too, mostly for finches.

This week I decided to add another hummingbird feeder about three feet to the left of the original one, but still under the oak tree. This one is a different shape. Hummingbirds are very territorial so I wanted them to know which was which so they could decide if one or the other suits their needs. This has caused a great deal of confusion and bickering among the hummers. They make a little clicking sound that is barely audible. The ones using the first feeder want to lay claim to the second one as well. First they feed at one feeder and then move to the next. Any intruders are chased away at warp speed. Meanwhile the finches just try to stay out of their way.

In Costa Rica I stood in the midst of ten humming bird feeders. I didn't move and closed my eyes. The hummingbirds flew so close I could feel the touch of their wings on my cheeks. It felt like an angel or a spirit had kissed me. Very mystical. In Costa Rica I saw 8 different types of hummingbirds. Amazing creatures. Posted by Picasa

No comments: