Thursday, July 13, 2006

Is Someone Still An Asshole Even Though He's Dead...YES!

I finally had to write about Enron and Ken Lay. I worked as a consultant for the people in Enron's San Francisco office for nearly four years. We licensed power plants in a state that needed them. No these were not the traders in Portland scamming the system. They were great people. They never stole, cheated or lied. They got the work done, but still they got screwed like all the other employees of the Big E. Now the man responsible for it has died and the eulogies at his memorial services have likened this man to "Jesus". They paint him as a good Christian who was a great philanthropist. Do these people have no shame? There are thousands of people in this country who will never be able to retire because of what this man and Jeff Skilling did. There has only been one former Enron employee quoted in the stories I've read since his Lay's death. She lost 90% of her retirement when the company collapsed. I lost $13,000. Not a huge amount by any means, but when you are self employed, it can wreak havoc with paying your bills. Last year I was paid 18 cents on the dollar by the bankruptcy court. That was a real surprise. Ken Lay is not a saint. In some way he took the easy way out by dying of a heart attack. If he had so damn much money why didn't he see a doctor so his coronary problems could be diagnosed. He belongs in jail for the rest of his life. This is the one time in my somewhat scattered religious life that I hope there is a hell. If there isn't one, someone should create one for him. I had to get that off my chest. Jeez I hate it when they turn assholes into saints. When people die they are who they are. Period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust me. Karma will get him one way or another - whether here or another universe or life. In the end I suspect he realized on some level what he'd done, and it killed him. I don't believe in hell. I hope we weren't created by a God so heartless.