Saturday, July 22, 2006

Canning Pickles From Crook Neck Squash

 As we all know, zucchini and crook neck squash are crops you have to control or else they get out of hand. Well I was gone five days last week on business; the crook neck squash and Japanese eggplant definitely got out of control. Last year I found a recipe in a very old Pillsbury cookbook. It said you could substitute zucchini for cucumbers when making sweet pickles. I figured that the crook neck squash was in the zucchini family so I substituted it for zucchini. They turned out great; I developed a following for my pickles. Today I made another batch, which is pictured here. The special ingredient is tumeric. They are yummy. This year I made them with the Splenda/Sugar combo so they would be lower in carbs and calories. It was 109 today in the shade. A good day to stay indoors. It won't go below 100 until next Friday. Yuck. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

dykewife said...

could you post the recipe? i'd like to get back into canning someday, and having decent brine recipes and such make all the difference.