Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Knee Replacement

I just had my first shower in 15 days; washed my hair too, so have to stay out of bed until my hair dries. What better time to blog about the last two weeks.

I'm not going to provide any gory details. I think the photo tells it all. My right leg is in the Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine. I spend six hours a day having this machine slowly move my knee joint. When I got home I was at 60 degrees; now I'm at 98. I can feel myself getting stronger every day thanks to the pain meds. Without them it would be really hard to get my exercises done. I'm on morphine twice a day and two Tylenol with codeine every four hours.

My time in the hospital is sort of a blur. I got excellent care, but the food sucked in so many ways. I give Kaiser credit for trying to serve a healthy meal. The method, however, was a bit out of date. They served powdered cream for my coffee and margarine. The fruit was all canned and the meat looked gray. There were no sweets of any kind on the tray. My sister missed the pudding. For the most part I ate yogurt brought to me by Kerry and my sister Vicky.

I've had excellent home health care with my nurse, Rachel, and physical therapist, Rob. A week from today I transition to an outpatient PT clinic in Lincoln. I'm still on Coumadin to make sure I don't get any blood clots. Only have another 9 days of that. You can't eat green vegetables or blueberries because they are high in vitamin K. Blueberries are not in season but spinach is. I get to watch Kerry and Vicky eat spinach salads. I love spinach.

My days are pretty much the same: six hours on the CPM machine (two 3-hour periods), exercises, icing my knee and walking around the house. I nap when I'm on the machine. Haven't had too much of an appetite, which is just fine with me.

The big thing about the knee replacement is doing everything everyone tells you to do. That way you get good results. I have balked at some of these things but I keep in mind the things I want to be able to do and that gets me back at it.

Yes, it is the most painful thing I've ever done but it's going to be worth it. I will have my left knee done after the quilt show next October. Any questions.
Posted by Picasa


Creamy Silver said...

Wow, what a contraption!

You seem to be in good spirits. That's good.

Considering the pain you must (not?) be feeling, I can't believe you're going to do it again later this year.

Eye on the prize, I guess. Good for you for staying focused.

Happy Birthday!

Karl Martinsen said...

Hope your recovery is going well. I can remember you had trouble with your knees back in highschool, but can't remember the details: car accident, I think; we called your scars "railroad tracks"! Found your wonderful, homey blog today and feel better for having read it. Unlike you, I never escaped Minnesota and I'm living on memories these days. My memories of you are all good.

country girl said...

Karl, if you check back, my e-mail is countrygirl12445@gmail.com. Drop me a line with your e-mail address. Would really enjoy reconnecting.

blogauthor said...

OH. MY. GOD. That looks horrendous