Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Camping, Caterpillars and Colorful Socks




Since 1984 I have gone camping on Memorial Day weekend at a friend's ranch near Boonville in northern California. I haven't made it every year, butI've been pretty consistent. Steve and Janet invite about 100 of their closest friends. It's not crowded because they live on nearly 200 acres. Most of the campers used to come from PG&E, the utility in northern California where Steve and I both worked. Times have changed and so have the visitors. Used to be dogs were forbidden. Then Steve and Janet got Abby and all of a sudden other dogs began to appear. It's a mellow weekend. It can be whatever you want. Some hike the property or go for wild and scary jeep rides with Steve at the wheel and children and adults shrieking as he careens around the dirt roads on the property. We cook and eat together. The campfire is the focus of the entire weekend. You can sit and read, stare off in to space or find someone to talk with. I was pretty tired this weekend. I've been traveling a lot on business which always takes it out of me. So Saturday afternoon I took a three hour nap in our wonderfully cozy tent. The photos were taken before I went to sleep (my foot) and after I awoke (the caterpillars). The ambiance of these photos sort of captures my weekend...relaxing.

No comments: