Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Big Apple Here We Come

Very early Saturday morning (6:30 a.m.) we fly to New York for my nephew's graduation from Columbia University. Lots of family will be there. Andrew, my nephew, is a wonderful young man who has done a great job scholastically; now he's heading out into the world. He's joined Teach for America. They hire recent college graduates to teach for two years in low-income urban and rural schools. He will be teaching in New York City. I don't know at what level yet. Teach for America wants to eliminate educational inequality. That's a big goal but a good one.

We will also be celebrating Cassie's departure. She's my brother's stepdaughter who has joined the Peace Corps. and has been assigned to Panama. Her first stop is Florida for some training and then on to Panama for more training and finally an assignment to a village. Her mother is a bit nervous and has already made plans to visit her there.

Plans for this weekend seem to revolve around food. We eat, we do something else, we eat, we do something else, etc. You get the picture; but then New York is foodie heaven. Hopefully the something else involves lots of walking. Otherwise you will have to roll me onto the plane going home. One of the "something elses" is a play, A Moon for the Misbegotten by Eugene O'Neil. Kevin Spacey plays the male lead.

Saturday night we eat at the Union Square Cafe, Sunday night we dine vegetarian at Candle 79 (Cassie is a vegetarian) and Monday we are at August in the West Village. I just finished reading about all the restaurants; my turkey sandwich for lunch today seems a bit lacking after reading about all the good food. In addition to the restaurants my brother has chosen, Kerry and I want to make sure we get to the Carnegie Deli.

This is our first trip back to New York since we were there on Sept. 11, 2001. That was a very scary time; we ended up renting a car and driving home to Oakland, CA rather than flying. We have decided we don't want to go to Ground Zero. I can still hear the non-stop sirens from that day and remember the layer of ash that was everywhere. I know those ashes were what remained of many loved ones. I'll check in when I get back.

1 comment:

dykewife said...

one of the best chicken salad sandwiches i ever had was from a restaurant that burned down a few years ago when most of a block went up in smoke. it was the oldest restaurant in town too (my hometown, not here). anyway, they made a salad, lettuce, mushroom, onion, green pepper, tomato and then added chicken chunks and mayo and put all that between two slices of bread. it was absotively the most marvelous!

have fun in new york.