Monday, April 03, 2006

Silk Embroidery in Suzhou

  In Suzhou (southern China) we went to the National Silk Embroidery Institute. We watched several women working with wispy strands of silk thread to create masterpieces like the one pictured here. The copyright label over the flowers is designed to keep people from stealing it. I'm just using it to illustrate a point. They don't have to worry I won't be embroidering it anytime soon. Suzhou is the place to buy embroidery. The area developed silk embroidery about 2,000 years ago. This was another one of those places where it was hard for me to watch the women bending over the fabric making tiny stitches. The light was not good and the chairs looked pretty uncomfortable. One thing Suzhou is famous for is two sided embroidery. On one side you might see a kitten. Turn it over the there is a puppy. I have no idea how they do it but the animal does not show through to the other side. Needless to say this is art and therefore, very expensive. Not my taste. I don't think anyone on our bus bought any. Posted by Picasa

No comments: