Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Today Is My Birthday

I was born in the evening so technically I am not another year older yet. I have about an hour to go. As a kid I couldn't wait to be a year older. Something new and wonderful might happen when you were 9 not 8. But then you reach a certain age and you start to think that birthday's aren't such milestones afterall. I'd rather think of my life as a continuum of events, some good and some not so good. Alright, there were a few awful ones, but for the most part I feel good about my life. At this age it's not so much about what you can accomplish each day as about what you can enjoy. I spent most of today, except for the urine test, planting bulbs. Many of mine are already peaking their little heads out of the soil. This year I want to do a map of where bulbs are on the property. The first year it didn't matter because there weren't any bulbs, but now I don't want to dig them up.

Ah yes, the urine test. Maybe this is a sign that I am getting older. You remember birthdays now by the medical tests you have. I've had a bladder infection for about three weeks. Antibiotics have not cured it so I had the test. At least the woman at the lab wished me a happy birthday.

Kerry and I will celebrate our anniversary and my birthday on Friday. He's the planner so I don't know what we are doing. We like to get trees to celebrate important days. Last year we got a fig and a Fuji apple. The fig had a sun stroke and died in the July heat. The Fuji is doing well. I went to the nursery that has bare root trees. Those are the best to buy because they take root and grow quicker. I think we are going to replace the fig, add a few more fujis and pick another fruit as well. They had pear trees which I think would be yummy.

Only 55 minutes to go until my real birthdate and birthtime. My brother and his wife sent me some books on China both fiction and non-fiction. With a 12-hour flight each way I'll have lots of time to read. They always pick out good presents.
I think I'll close while I'm still a year younger.

No comments: